Since 2016, Springboard to Active Schools supports CDC-funded state departments of health and/or education to promote active school environments in school districts and schools across the country. Grounded in the Whole School, Whole Community, Whole Child (WSCC) model, an active school environment (also known as a Comprehensive School Physical Activity Program) is a multi-component approach by which school districts and schools use all opportunities for students to be physically active. This includes:
- Physical education,
- Physical activity during school,
- Physical activity before and after school,
- Staff involvement, and
- Family and community engagement.
All schools and districts are environments supportive of physical education and physical activity that improve the health and academic success of students.
To support schools in creating environments supportive of physical education and physical activity, we:
- Leverage multi-sector partnerships and subject matter experts;
- Catalyze change through innovative and coordinated training and technical assistance; and,
- Advance the evidence-base of promising practices and research.
Some services we provide include:
- Professional development (e.g., in-person and virtual training opportunities),
- Technical assistance (e.g., phone, e-mail, in-person meetings),
- Development of new tools/resources, and
- Dissemination and curation of new and existing tools/resources.
Springboard to Active Schools is a proud partner of Active Schools! Active Schools is a national movement led by health, education and private sector organizations committed to active, healthy, and happy kids. We are committed to bringing the physical benefits of physical education and physical activity to every child because we know that Active Kids Do Better. Visit Active Schools Online at www.ActiveSchoolsUS.org to learn more and get involved.