Classroom Physical Activity Idea
Approach: Movement integrated into planned academic instruction
Subject Area: Geography
Age: Elementary (Grade 4-5)
Recommended by: Erica Ayers, School Health Coordinator, South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control
- Ask students to stand up, push in their chairs, and stand behind their desks.
- Display a map and choose 1 student to go to the map.
- Choose a location (state or country) and tell everyone in the class except the student at the map (can write location on board or piece of paper).
- Instruct the class to use movement without talking to guide the student to the correct location.
East: knee lifts
West: jumping jacks
North: raise the roof
- Repeat with new location and new student.