Classroom Physical Activity Idea
Toss and Catch
Approach: Movement integrated into planned academic instruction
Subject Area: Spelling
Recommended by: Sarah Roundy, School Health Coordinator, Utah Department of Health
Source: Healthy Body, Health Minds (pg. 38)
Equipment: Soft object to throw
Formation: General area
- Divide class into partner pairs.
- From a spelling list, ask partners to pick a word.
- Spell while tossing an object back and forth.
- 1st student says first letter and tosses the object to their partner.
- 2nd student says the second letter and tosses the object back.
- Continue until the word is completely spelled out.